Operating and Communication Systems
(Master's Degree Program Multimedia Management - 1st quarter)
- Measuring information, redundancy, and entropy
- Numbers and their bases
- Codes and their use for audio files
- Selected properties of operating systems such as File I/O
- Introduction to Communication Systems: Networks, TCP/IP model, OSI model
Information, Multimedia Codes and Numbers - Information is a basic element and studied in the field of computer science. It can be digitally encoded as data using a code. Any multimedia data such as sound or images require a code. Making of a code and analysis of codes is central to this part of the lecture. For example, colours or sound amplitudes are described with numerical codes to express the amount of red or the volume. Binary numbers are the basis for any computation by computers.
Practical work is done with a simulation program to visualize printer data, with sound players, and with Java. A key concept in operating systems are files and directories. Their structure and procedural treatment by Java is explained.
Communication systems are covering the whole globe and beyond. Wired and wireless networking techniques are discussed in this course following the OSI model. Each layer of this model has been implemented to some degree using several algorithms before, for example, an email can be sent or received.
Credits: 2+1 ECTS.
Exercises include topics on binary analysis of WAVE files, programming with directories, specification of the file transfer protocol, sending an email in Java, client/server data-exchange in Java.
Software packages used: JBuilder, MS Word with equation editor, calculator, hex file editor.
Examination: written exam.
- Bauer, F. L.; Goos, G.: Informatik , Springer Verlag, 1974.
- Blieberger, J.; Klasek, J.; Redlein, A.; Schildt, G.-H.: Informatik , Springer Verlag, 3. Aufl., 1996.
- Kröger, F.: Einführung in die Informatik , Springer, 1991.
- Horstmann, C. S.: Core Java , Vol. II - Advanced Features, Prentice Hall: Palo Alto, 1998
- Tanenbaum, A. S.: Modern Operating Systems , Prentice Hall, 2001.
- Tanenbaum, A. S.: Computer Networks , Prentice Hall, 2001.
- Tanenbaum, A. S.; van Steen, Maarten: Distributed Systems , Prentice Hall, 2002.
- Galileo Computing, open book (German),
Java ist auch eine